I’m glad to use this opportunity to share the list of doctoral programs that accept transfer credits with you.
Firstly, an educational height or achievement does not necessarily mean a master’s degree. Some people prefer to push further by acquiring a doctorate degree.
A Doctorate degree is the most advanced degree you earn, symbolizing that you have mastered a specific area of study or field or profession.
Those who earn the degree must have researched different topics concerning the field thoroughly. They are expected to have carried out series of intensive research and analysis in their field.
A doctorate degree holder is open to lots of educational offers and considerations. In most cases,one is seen to have achieved a lifelong achievement if he acquires a doctorate degree.
Types of Doctorate Degree
There are two major types of doctorate degree credits; Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.s) and Professional Doctorate.
1. Research – Oriented Degree
They are commonly referred to as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.s). This doctorate degree emphasizes on the concept Philosophy and this refers to as the pursuit of knowledge. Examples of some research oriented degrees are:
- Doctor of Business Management (Ph.D.)
- Doctor of Philosophy ( Ph.D.)
- Doctor of Theology ( Th.D.)
- Doctor of Public Health ( DPH)
- Doctor of Arts (D.A)
2. The Professional Doctorate: An Application Oriented Program
Also known as an applied doctorate, a professional doctorate refers to the application of research and knowledge in the real life.
People who usually go for such doctorate degree programs are actually people who wish to pursue their career in a higher level and are probably seeking a job in a huge organization. Examples of a professional doctorate are;
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
- Doctor of Finance (DPH)
- Doctor of Healthcare Administration (DHA)
- Juris Doctor (J.D)
How Long Does it take to Complete a Doctoral Program?
Inorder to receive a doctorate degree, students must successfully complete a doctoral program. Some doctoral degrees take less time to complete compared with others.
Students must be able to successfully defend an academic dissertation which must be approved by a dissertation committee. A Ph.D. is a long commitment of your time, financial resources ans energy.
However, the duration of a doctoral program depends on the type you want to study. Nevertheless, it takes about four to seven years to complete a doctoral program.
Usually, a Ph.D degree should not take so long, however, writing a dissertation can take so long hence, extending the duration of your program.
Requirements for a Doctoral Degree Program
The requirements of a doctoral degree depends on the field you wish to study. However some doctoral program require that applicants have a good CGPA.
While some requires their applicants to have a master’s degree, others do not really care if you have a master’s degree or not.
Some degrees require 60 to 120 semester credit hours.Just so you know, whatever requirement you need depends totally on the field you wish to apply for.
Types of Doctoral Transfer Credits
Transfer credits are the years of educational experience that students have. These transfer credits can help reduce the number or duration of your years that students will spend during their program.
Transfer credits come in different types:
1. Master’s Level Credits
If a student has a master’s degree and earned a high credit, then that student can use his / her earned credit to qualify for a doctorate degree program.
2. Previous Doctoral Credit
If you did not complete that doctoral program you were pursuing, then you can transfer to another institution by using your transfer credits.
6 Doctoral Programs that Accept Transfer Credits
I have listed 6 doctoral programs that accept transfer credits below:
- Southern New Hamsphire University Doctorate Programs
- Walden University Doctorate Program
- Grand Canyon University Doctorate Program
- Liberty University Doctorate Programs
- University of Pennsylvania Doctorate Programs
- Northcentral University Doctorate Programs
1. Southern New Hamsphire University Doctorate Programs
Founded in the year 1932, Southern New Hamsphire University (SNHU) is a private non profit university that is located in England and accepts transfer credits.
Whatever degree you wish to pursue, there are always counsellors to guide you through. A few of the programs SNHU that accept transfer credits are:
- MS in IT: Healthcare informatics
- MS in Information Technology with a Concentration in Database Design
Transfer credits accepted: 9
2. Walden University Doctorate Program
Walden University is a private university located in Minneapolis. Apart from normal classroom lessons, they also offer online programs both in master’s and doctoral programs.
The Walden University is one of the schools that accept transfer credits from students. In Walden University, you can only make use of your transfer credits if you earned them within ten years, and the courses must align with your new program.
In Walden University, there is no specified transfer credits, this is determined by what degree you wish to pursue.
Examples of some programs in Walden University that accept transfer credits are:
- MS in K- 12 education
- PhD in Psychology: Clinical Psychology Program
3. Grand Canyon University Doctorate Program
Grand Canyon University is a christian based university located in Arizona. Founded in the year 1949, GCU offers not only undergraduate programs but also master’s and doctoral programs.
To transfer credits in GCU, students are required to have at least a B in that course. Below are some of the programs that accept transfer credits:
- MBA with Emphasis in Marketing
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Doctor of Education in K-12 Leadership
4. Liberty University Doctorate Programs
Liberty university accept transfer credits to all its doctorate degree programs. But each of these programs have conditions. Below are the general conditions for transfering include the following:
- Credits from prior degrees earned through Liberty University do not count toward this number.
- Credits from prior degrees earned through Liberty University count toward this number.
- Some courses have transfer age limit of five years.
- Students who are pursuing a Master in some courses will be permitted to use all of the credits completed for some programs
- For the Chaplaincy programs, only graded course work from accredited institutions will be eligible for transfer.
- Transfer credit for CHPL courses must be reviewed and approved by the School of Divinity.
- The EdD allows the transfer of up to 24 hours from a EdS degree earned through another institution, and up to 27 hours (as applicable) from a EdS degree earned through Liberty.
- The PhD in Education allows the transfer of up to 27 hours (as applicable) from a EdS earned through Liberty.
- The PhD in Educational Leadership allows the transfer of up to 24 hours from an EdS degree earned through another university, and up to 27 hours (as applicable) from an EdS degree earned through Liberty
- The PhD in Higher Education Administration allows the transfer of up to 27 hours (as applicable) from a EdS earned through Liberty.
- The maximum of 42 hours of transfer credit is consistent with policy published in the Graduate Catalog
Source: Visit here
5. University of Pennsylvania Doctorate Programs
At the University of Pennsylvania,
Credit can be transferred toward the Ph.D. from a masters degree or other work completed in a post-baccalaureate degree program.
This is only acceptable upon recommendation by the graduate chair and approval of the graduate dean. No work done as an undergraduate, whether at this institution or at any other, will be counted or accepted. The exemptions to this is:
- Graduate courses completed by undergraduates as sub-matriculants in a graduate group may be counted toward graduate degree requirements.
Source: visit here
6. Northcentral University Doctorate Programs
Northcentral University accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities. Transfer credits from institutions approved by a foreign nation’s Minister of Education where their approval process is comparable to accreditation in the United States are also accepted.
For online Doctoral degree programs, no more than 9 semester credits can be applied to specialization courses. Course grades must be 3.0 (“B”) or better.
All courses must have been completed in a doctoral program at a regionally or nationally accredited institution within seven calendar years prior to acceptance at Northcentral University.
After conducting an academic evaluation of your transcripts, the Northcentral University will accept credits in transfer appropriate to your Northcentral Doctoral program.
Source: Visit here
Careers that Require Doctorate Degrees
Earning a doctoral degree is one achievement that takes the professional a long way.
Employers usually look for such achievement in a resume, hence, candidates that possess these qualities are first considered for the position.
Below are some of the careers that requires one to further his education and get a doctorate degree.
Professors teach and guide students in the higher institution. They are known to be one of the most paid staffs in the university. They earn an annual salary of about $60,000.
Linguist are responsible for translating and interpreting foreign languages in written and spoken form. They are paid about $82,000 per annum.
Pharmacists procure drugs to sick patients. They also help to educate patients on certain drugs and its effects. Pharmacists usually earn an annual salary of $117,000.
Physicians also known as doctors provide medical services in form of drugs and treatment to sick patients. They receive an annual salary of over $230,000 annually.
Administrators too are also required to get a doctorate degree. Especially those working in schools and institutions.
They help manage schedules and operations in an organization. They receive an annual salary of about $66,000.
With this piece, I believe you have known the doctoral programs that accept transfer credits, the type of doctoral credits they accept and how to transfer credits from one doctorate degree program to another.
If you have had that formal educational experience, and other suitable credits fro other programs then you have earned yourself some transfer credits.
If you probably want to further your education by taking a doctoral program and you do not want to spend so much time pursuing that degree, then make use of that transfer credit now.